Concerns about security in the reserve at the end of St Mary’s Road are being addressed following a recent early morning assault on a female jogger. The SMBA met with police to walk through the reserve and identify possible security improvements, in particular better lighting and trimming of foliage.
The subsequent police report recommends consultation with Auckland Council and Auckland Transport to consider the following:
- Improve lighting along the walkway
- Improve lighting and signage at all entry/exit points
- Consider installing an emergency phone at either the St Mary’s Rd entrance or the Jacobs Ladder entrance
- Prompt attention to overgrown trees and shrubs
- Maintain a diligent maintenance programme.